Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Followers

Please respect my

All work exhibited here is my own design, unless otherwise stated, in which case I shall have credited the original author of that work. I am thrilled to be able to share my designs with you but would appreciate that you respect that these are my designs and do not copy and place them anywhere else online or use them for your own personal gain in any way.


Google Website Translator Gadget

Monday 7 March 2011

Crafty Cardmakers Challenge #41 Fabric

41 Fabric WM Hey here I am with Crafty Cardmakers Challenge this fortnight which is to use fabric on your creations. This was my choice of challenge and personally I would prefer to see a real use of fabric like my teamies have done with whole backgrounds etc. made of fabric, or truly being the focal point of your design, but in order to qualify we will of course accept ribbons, fabric flowers, backgrounds, printed fabric, paper pieced (or should that be fabric pieced). I am sure you get my drift.

We are sponsored once again by One Stop Card Crafts who are offering a £10 voucher to their store!

image

Please go on over and check out the fabulous DT cards as there are some absolute stunners there, the girls have done my challenge proud, thank you girls!

So to business. I have done a small pictorial tutorial as to how I created my card. It’s a bit basic because I kept forgetting to take a picture before moving onto the next stage……. dearie me old age, and ME have all but put paid to my brain.

1 -  I cut a piece of silk to larger than I wanted the end product to be, which in this case was going to be 7.75” square, because that is how large it needed to be in order to fit on the frame I would be using. So I cut about 9” of silk to leave room for tidying up and to prevent fraying.

2 – Dampen down the silk with a wet paintbrush, this helps the paint to flow better and mix41 01

3 – Using a pipette drop your colours onto the silk using Pebeo Setacolour Soleil which are light reactive paints for fabric

41 03   41 04

4 – This is where I got stupid and forgot to take a pic, but continue adding colour until you are happy with the pattern. Just small drops at a time as it spreads quite well. You can also spritz it at this stage to help the colours to mix again, but not too much because you need it to dry for the colour to set.

5 – Place your chosen design to mask out some areas. In this case I had already made a frame using an EK Success Punch – you will see that it barely covers the fabric, that is because I actually took this picture after it was stuck down, because I forgot to take one before I removed the mask, ooooops, but your piece of fabric will obviously be larger than your frame, or chosen design.41 05

6 – Place the whole thing to dry, preferably in sunshine as that helps the colours and masking to be more marked. Sadly there was no sunshine the day I did this so I just let it dry in the window

7 – This is what it looks like when you have removed the masks

41 06

Again dumbo here forgot to take a pic of it immediately I removed the masks, so this has been taken after I have ironed the silk to set the colours even further and stuck them down over my square piece of card, and also pricked some of the pattern out ready for embroidering.

8 – Now you could just leave it here and maybe just use gems, or even leave as is, but I chose to prick through the pattern which was actually intended for stitching on the original Marianne stencil, so that I could embroider it

9 – Embroider it and embellish how you like.  If you look in the top right hand corner you will see that the frame didn’t stick down properly when I placed it to dry and the light got underneath it, and there you can see there is no frame pattern, so maybe try and weigh your’s down if it’s light like my frame was. I managed to cover up this boo boo in the final card with a sentiment

10 – Having embroidered and added gems, which I had first coloured with promarkers to match the background,  I finished off with a sentiment I made on the pc, and a flower embellishment, plus some toning ribbon around the edge of the piece and to make sure it was neatly finished and to cover up the joins in the ribbon I used some gorgeous filigree metal corners.

My Sister loves to call me the ‘Old Boot’ so I couldn’t resist the sentiment here. I hope she is in a good mood when she gets it.

This last picture is to show the dimension on the stitching. This is a touchy feely card, the silk feels lovely and I hope has made a card my Sister will truly enjoy.

41 Fabric Angle 

I’m entering this into the following challenges:-

Craft Your Passion – Anything Goes

House of Gilli – Use Something Green

Kaboodle Doodles – Go Green

Karen’s Doodles – Go Green

The Shabby Tea Room – Luck of the Irish (Green)

Squigglefly – Grateful for Green

Simon Says Stamp and Show – Some Metal (the corners)

There’s a lot of green out there at the moment folks! Can’t think why, lol

Don’t forget from next Monday the new Crafty Cardmakers Spotlight Challenge blog will open, so see you there too.

Butterfly 2 Signature Lin

21 comments:

  1. This is just fabulous Lin, I love the colours and design. The tutorial is great too, I'll be reading really carefully so that I can have an attempt at the technique myself.
    Jenni x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty card! Thanks for joining us on House of Gilli! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a stunning fab creation, you are a talented lady hun, theres a little something for you on my blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous card, Lin:O) LOVE the stitching!!! WOW:O) Beautiful colours, lovely work!
    Thank you for joining Karen's Doodles, good luck!
    Hugs, Nancy;O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh wow this is a stunning card, I love how you did your background.
    Thanks for playing along with Karen's Doodles
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my ~ This is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for entering the House of Gilli Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow! The colours are amazing! Love 'n' hugs, Mel xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is gorgeous Lin there is a little something on my blog for
    Jacki xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous, love the sentiment but I have to say the best bit was your tutorial - I'm still laughing, lol. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. You dyed silk piece is just gorgeous! Really makes the card! Thanks for playing in Squigglefly's challenge. I hope to see you play along again in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely fabulous and so different too! Love the colours too - so cheerful. Yet another craft technique I could spend money on ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is so creative! Thanks for playing with us at Squigglefly this week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow this is just stunning
    never had a go at silk painting might just have to give it a go if you can get results like that
    gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow Lin, this is gorgeous. I;ve left something on my blog for you. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW!! Gorgeous coloring and colors!!!

    Thanks so much for sharing your work with us at the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge!!!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Lin, this is so pretty!! LOVE your shoe design and your wonderful tutorial on your colors, they look stunning!! LOVE the greens! :) Thanks for playing with us at Squigglefly!!HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Wow this if fabulous... So unique.. Thanks for playing along with Karen's Doodles this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super project Hunni! So pretty and colourful!
    Hugs
    Ei
    x

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! This is gorgeous!!!! You put a lotof work into this and it shows....amazing!!!! THANKS for joining us at Karen's Doodles!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful dyed silk Lin, love the colours and use of stencils!
    The Design Team & I are so pleased that you joined the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge this week!
    Thank you, HuGs Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looby,the colours are gorgeous and its so helpful that you give details of how you have done this. This blogging lark is fun. Now to work out how to follow you. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I enjoy reading each and every one and appreciate that you took the time to leave one. If you have a particular question you can always click the 'email me' link in the sidebar. Lin

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails